For resources and updates from the Office of Research Integrity Assurance related to the Coronavirus, visit: https://researchintegrity.gatech.edu/coronavirus.
These resources are helpful in preparing protocol applications and learning more about use of animals in research and teaching activities.
- 2010 Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, 8th Edition
- Clarification on the Roles of NIH Scientific Review Groups (SRG) and Institutional Care and Use Committees (IACUC) in Review of Vertebrate Animal Research
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook (via the Applied Research Ethics National Association)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- National Institutes of Health Guidance on How to Write an Application Involving Research Animals
- General information on animal research and testing from the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC)
- AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia – 2020 edition
- Guidance on Prompt Reporting to OLAW under the PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- Guidance on Confirming Appropriate Charges to NIH Awards during Periods of Noncompliance for Activities Involving Animals
- DHHS Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) Useful Links
- US Department of Agriculture - Animal Welfare Act
- Department of Defense - Care and Use of Laboratory Animals in DoD Programs
Public Health Service Policy
Please carefully review the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals OLAW Frequently Asked Questions. The most commonly asked questions that are answered on OLAW’s FAQ site are:
- Does the IACUC have to review proposed animal research activities at the time of grant award if the animal research activities will not be conducted until year 4 or 5 of a grant?
- Is the IACUC required to review the grant application?
- May the IACUC administratively extend approval of a project that has expired?